be blown away

Capsules hold history

June 29, 2014

Since the late eighteen hundreds, each graduating class at Stanford has buried a time capsule around the quad that is in front of the Memorial church. Few people know what belongings are in them though, since the only time that any capsules were opened have been caused by construction work. Because Stanford is such a diverse school, there are many possibilities of what could be in these time capsules, but there is no way to be sure.

Some students would like to support Stanford university by burying school merchandise and other memorabilia. “I would put something from my graduating class there, like something that says 2016, something about Stanford university.” says Alyssa, a Stanford student. Other students aren’t sure what they would put in the time capsule, it is a big decision after all, since many people in the future will remember you by this single item.

Maria says “I would be caught between representing the time in general or Stanford students in general or me personally.” This decision is one that many students have had to make throughout the years and one that many more students will have to make in years to come.

“I think it is interesting because you can check if you made some impact in the world, you can go back and just remember how you felt when you were graduating.” says Jessica, a student who is studying abroad at Stanford. Eventually these time capsules will be opened and hopefully Stanford students will have the power to make an impact.

“As far as I’ve heard, we’ve never dug up any of them.” says Maria, a student that is curious to find out the contents of the time capsules. One day the truth will be revealed, but only time will tell…